CO2CRC Limited is one of the world's leading collaborative research organisations focused on carbon dioxide capture and geological sequestration (geosequestration, carbon dioxide capture and storage, carbon capture and storage, or CCS).
CO2CRC is a joint venture comprising participants from Australian and global industry, universities and other research bodies from Australia and New Zealand, and Australian and state governments and agencies, and international government agencies. The CRC for Greenhouse Gas Technologies was established under the Cooperative Research Centres (CRC) Program. The CRC Program is an Australian government initiative. The CRC for Greenhouse Gas Technologies/CO2CRC Limited is no longer receiving Commonwealth CRC funding and is no longer part of or associated with the CRC Program.
CO2CRC activities include:
- undertaking leading research into and development of technologies for carbon dioxide capture and geological storage
- decreasing commercial risks by demonstrating the practical application of carbon dioxide capture and storage technologies to reduce carbon dioxide emissions
- developing new economically and environmentally sustainable opportunities for decreasing carbon dioxide emissions by assessing the scope for the application of carbon dioxide capture and storage in a range of different geographical, technical, and commercial settings in Australia, New Zealand, and the Asia-Pacific region
- contributing to the development and global uptake of carbon dioxide capture and storage technologies by participating in international programs and collaborating with leading researchers and research groups globally
- strengthening the uptake of carbon dioxide capture and storage through technology transfer and developing new commercial opportunities based on CO2CRC intellectual property
- meeting the needs of industry and government for quality graduates and well-trained staff by providing excellent education and training in greenhouse gas technologies