Injection & storage
Preparing the site for CO2 injectionOnce a site has been identified and characterised, before injection takes place there are a number of activities that need to be finalised.
- Undertake a detailed volumetric assessment of storage capacity
- Complete full project economics
- Complete installation of monitoring and verification facilities: baseline data for monitoring should take place, with CO2 levels in the groundwater, soil (if on land) and air monitored for seasonal variation. In addition, pre-injection well temperature and pressure should be established and seismic data recorded
- Complete risk assessment and uncertainty analysis
- Undertake community consultation
- Finalise regulatory regime
- Install operational equipment: existing wells need to be tested. New wells, if required, need to be drilled and commissioned. The processing and injection plant needs to be installed and commissioned.